Cybersecurity Fantasy Role-playing Game

It's called Cryptomancer. Think computer hacking plus magic. I know nothing about it, but it feels reminiscent of Shadowrun.

Reddit thread. RPG.net thread.

EDITED TO ADD (12/14): A review.

Posted on December 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM • 9 Comments

Comments

Green SquirrelDecember 10, 2016 3:05 PM

Ok, this fires up my inner geek and gives me flashbacks to a misspent youth.... I'm sold.

Well, I would be if I had friends I could play it with....

TedDecember 10, 2016 10:54 PM

Chad Walker gave a great presentation on Cryptomancer at SaintCon 2016.

SaintCon has posted his presentation on YouTube.

@Chad Walker, if you’re there, have you had a chance to look over any of the computer science, education based grants at Grants.gov like “17-520: Cyberlearning and Future Learning Technologies,” "16-527: STEM + Computing Partnerships," or “17-525: Computer Science for All”? The role-playing game (RPG) you developed with your team appears to be a very creative hands-on framework for learning and/or teaching security concepts like cryptography and networking principles.

TedDecember 11, 2016 12:12 AM

@Rich David

Could you please post the name of Chad Walker youtube channel.

Sure. It's actually published on the "SaintCon 2016" channel.

SaintCon 2016: “Chad Walker (@Papa_Shell) - Kill All The Orcs, Hack All The Things”

Published on Nov 7, 2016. 43:19 minutes.

Chad WalkerDecember 11, 2016 12:55 PM

@Schneier: Thank you so much for mentioning Cryptomancer!

@Green Squirrel: I have the same problem, but I've recently started playing games over Google HangOuts and Roll20[.]net, and with a mic/headset, it really is just like being at the table.

@Ted: Thank you for sharing the SaintCon 2016 video. Regarding government IT/sec education grants, that sounds like actual *work,* which I'm allergic to. :P Seriously, though, if someone wants my help in building infosec games or tabletop frameworks, HMU.

Elven DwarfdickDecember 11, 2016 12:56 PM

Saw the headline "Cybersecurity Fantasy Role-Playing Game" and naturally I figured it was another story about CIA's RUSSIAIDIT!! wet dreams.