Pirates Hack into Shipping Company's Database

A group of pirates -- the real kind -- determined which cargo to steal by hacking into a shipping company's database.

Here's the report.

Posted on March 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM • 8 Comments

Comments

J.March 8, 2016 3:21 PM

That Verizon "report" is really annoying, I couldn't find the relevant info among all that forced wittiness.

booMarch 8, 2016 3:50 PM

"The pirates did not use SSL, mistyped commands, and "constantly struggled" to interact with the pwned webserver." .... and yet they were able to get what they needed. Speaks volumes about the victim's security practices.

paulMarch 9, 2016 8:37 AM

If the pirates are pulling high-value cargo by barcode (and unloading/transshipping it on the spot) that means they have fairly serious infrastructure and an ordering and distribution system. Next, no doubt, will be the deals with insurance companies where certain companies' vessels somehow seem never to get hit.

johnMarch 9, 2016 4:14 PM

@Brent

I guess I should always use "password123" as my password, so that thieves won't have to kill me when they can't steal my bank account, right?

K15March 9, 2016 5:50 PM

Solution?
How about a govt dept offering bounties for successful white-hat commercial security breaches? Fund it with taxes, and with fines if a secure way of doing biz was available and reasonably priced.

(Happy happy friendly warm thoughtful ethical kind people of integrity, i love you, you are wonderful. Happy happy happy.
Happy
Happy.
Full of utopia here, bountiful, that's for sure.)
Happy.

johnMarch 10, 2016 1:02 PM

@Brent

Or maybe I really should store all my valuables out in the open on my front lawn, so that thieves wouldn't have to break into my house and ransack/destroy my property to find them all... just think of how much money I'd save that way!

Captain CrunchMarch 10, 2016 1:31 PM

+)+)+@#03=30.. I'm re101010110aaal, I'm real1+0+)_001010+0=)+0+)+)001110101100...