Applied Cryptography on Elementary

In the episode that aired on May 9th, about eight or nine minutes in, there's a scene with a copy of Applied Cryptography prominently displayed on the coffee table.

Applied Crypto on Elementary.jpg

This isn't the first time that my books have appeared on that TV show.

schneier books on Elementary.jpg

Posted on May 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM • 16 Comments

Comments

FigureitoutMay 17, 2013 3:14 PM

That's the book that brought me here (unfortunately :), and there goes my sanity lol. It appears as if there's some RNG in the background, or simply covering up something else...

Clive RobinsonMay 17, 2013 4:46 PM

@ Bruce,

Hmm maybe somebody in the production is a fan...

So as you are also blessed with "Chuck Norris" film star looks as well as being a certified information twiddeling guru you should ask for a "bit" part ;-)

GweihirMay 17, 2013 6:41 PM

Cool, completely missed that! Would have recognized it, I still use it as a reference.

Electric Diaper May 17, 2013 7:36 PM

Good thing it wasn't sitting next to a copy of GUI Interfaces with Visual Basic: Tracking IPs, Telly Style

PrometheeFeuMay 18, 2013 12:04 AM

That copy looks quasi-new. Not to brag, but mine is basically falling apart after I re-read the thing over and over during high school.

NateMay 18, 2013 6:10 AM

Did you notice that they got public key cryptography right in the finale? The police detective says the emails were encrypted so they *can't* decrypt them!

Clive RobinsonMay 18, 2013 10:21 AM

@ PrometheeFeu,

It's also 2nd Editon... I have both the 1st&2nd both in relativly good condition in my "dead tree cave" of a library come office.

Some books I have in three or more editions, which possibly accounts for the several thousand volumes in there [1] which unfortunatly adds a hefty burden on the foundations as well as the insurance bill each year.

[1] For those of you that have never had to work it out for insurance you might get quite a nasty shock... You get about 100 technical books to 10ft of linear book shelf, and with care 10 shelves up a standard 8ft wall, or around 4-5 thousand books around three walls of a moderate sized room. The first shock is just how much they weight in around 2tonnes/thousand volumes including shelving, so yes you need structural work done. The second shock is the current average cost to replace them, it's currently about 40GBP/vol giving an issurance risk of 200,000GBP which is about one and a half times what the insurance company thinks it will cost to rebuild the house should it burn to the ground... And befor people ask yes I've read all of them in part or whole otherwise I would not have bought them in the first place.

BobMay 18, 2013 2:02 PM

This is the first image I ever remember you posting on your site, Bruce.

BenjaminMay 19, 2013 3:38 AM

It's also worth noting that they chose to honor Bruce with the prime placement in the episode named "Risk Management".

MarcMay 20, 2013 5:24 AM

See, there is stil hope for the digital world. Just kidding.

Congrats for the free publicity, now i wonder if the people on the movie set where aware of the facts and contents of the book?

Kind regards.

RainForestGuppyMay 22, 2013 4:37 AM

Perhaps they thought by placing Applied cryptography in the show they could address the credibiity gap caused by Johnny Lee Millers appearence in the film Hackers.