Schneier on Security on Elementary

Two of my books can be seen in the background in CBS' new Sherlock Holmes drama, Elementary. Copies of Schneier on Security and Secrets & Lies are prominently displayed on Sherlock Holmes' bookshelf. You can see them in the first few minutes of the pilot episode. The show's producers contacted me early on to ask permission to use my books, so it didn't come as a surprise, but it's still a bit of a thrill.

schneier books on Elementary.jpg

Here's a listing of all the books visible on the bookshelf.

Posted on September 14, 2012 at 2:20 PM • 14 Comments

Comments

John MacdonaldSeptember 14, 2012 4:10 PM

Screenshot? What about a mugshot?! It would be neat for Bruce to make a cameo appearance on the show.

Spaceman SpiffSeptember 14, 2012 10:16 PM

I love this series! Unfortunately, I didn't peruse his bookshelf... :-) I'm going to watch it again now (I have a 720p copy on my computer) and look! Congratulations Bruce. This new era Sherlock is awesome, and I think Sir Arthur would be pleased!

Spaceman SpiffSeptember 14, 2012 10:20 PM

Is this the series with Benedict Cumberbach, produced in England? Or is it something else?

CateSeptember 15, 2012 10:45 AM

I noticed this while watching the pilot! I thought it was a nice touch.

@Tom: Nope, Elementary is very different from Sherlock in characterization, casting, tone and pacing (and pretty much everything else). I definitely wouldn't call it a copy of Sherlock. Sherlock is basically a series of made-for-tv movies with 3-episode seasons. From the pilot, Elementary seems to be a weekly police procedural in the American style - grittier and (hopefully) with less convoluted plots. I love Sherlock, but sometimes the amount of "cleverness" in it was just too much for me.

If anything, I feel that Elementary has more similarities to House or Bones than Sherlock. The concept of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes is hardly new, and there's definitely room for more than one adaptation on TV.

RogerSeptember 17, 2012 6:59 AM

Nice! But ... the highly literate Sherlock only has 9 books? Hmm, guess he must have a Kindle.

RobSeptember 17, 2012 1:06 PM

Not sure about the Beyond Programming text. 16 years old, and it failed to start a revolution in programming.

PepeSeptember 17, 2012 2:28 PM

I trust that Sherlock keeps the book that declares the NYPD to be America's best counterterror force for a laugh.

anonymous fanSeptember 17, 2012 10:05 PM

"It would be neat for Bruce to make a cameo appearance on the show."

Forget guest appearances.

Bruce should have his own series.

MailmanSeptember 18, 2012 11:33 AM

"Bruce should have his own series."

Wasn't he the main character in that series, "Walker, Texas Ranger" ?

anonymous fanSeptember 19, 2012 10:11 AM

Come to think about it, I've never seen Bruce Schneier and Chuck Norris together in the same place at the same time...