Educause Podcasts and Video

I spoke at the Educause conference this year in Seattle. There's a podcast and video of my talk available ("Ten Trends of Information Security"; I've given the talk before) as well as a podcast of an interview with me.

Posted on November 9, 2007 at 1:24 PM • 11 Comments

Comments

Michael AlexanderNovember 9, 2007 8:05 PM

Two questions. Is the video available for download? When I click the link for video, I get a message, " WM7 Activex control Not Found." Where do I find this ActiveX control for download? Also, I run Vista and I update everything on a regular basis. Why wouldn't I have this control already? Ok. I lied. That was actually three questions!!!

maupassantNovember 9, 2007 8:43 PM

Let me get this straight-- a security expert just sent me to a site that requires an activex conrtol. Even when I used ...THAT... operating system many years ago, I wouldn't have allowed an activex control to run. *For security reasons*

non-windows-userNovember 10, 2007 2:30 AM

Bruce, please tell the people who you give talks to, that they should consider using an open format if they would like to reach out to security minded people.

AnonymousNovember 10, 2007 6:06 AM

At least they don't really hide the URL to the actual stream, so
mplayer mms://hosted-video.mediasite.com/hosted/ced6e3bf-5644-4fac-ad5c-7ca754d890fb.wmv
may be used to play the video. Presumably requires w32codecs to be installed, though...

AnonymousNovember 10, 2007 11:21 AM

Mplayer did not do it as it seems audio is using a codec not present on my system, wmavds32.ax

Becky GrangerNovember 12, 2007 10:04 AM

Hello all -

The video is in streaming format only but you can download the podcast in MP3 format. Please contact me directly if you have any questions or issues with the video or podcast. Thanks!

Becky Granger
Director, IT
EDUCAUSE
rgranger@educause.edu

ACNovember 13, 2007 4:49 PM

The number of introductions was ridiculous. I've seen 4 people so far, each one introducing the next, none of them saying anything of value, and _finally_ this last guy has started to introduce Bruce.

Eric CaseNovember 22, 2007 7:43 PM

Bruce, have you given any thought to externality, tenure and security within the academic environment?

Eric Case