DefCon Badge Auction

I am auctioning my DefCon speaker badge on eBay.

The curious phrasing -- "upon completion of this auction, Schneier will donate an amount equal to the purchase price to the Electronic Privacy Information Center" -- is because eBay has complex rules for charity auctions. So, technically, I am not donating the proceeds of the auction; I am donating a completely different pile of money equal to the proceeds of the auction.

EDITED TO ADD (8/22): Sold for $335. Thank you all.

Posted on August 18, 2007 at 10:57 AM • 18 Comments

Comments

YagottabekiddinmeAugust 18, 2007 1:07 PM

Oh yeah, he's going to give a sample of his signature out to a bunch of hackers. ROTFL!

Aaron LuchkoAugust 18, 2007 1:52 PM

Hmm, your comments about signing just gave me an idea for eBay to help solve items posted using hacked accounts.

Require a password for users to post auctions, make this different from their login password. Even if someone falls for a phish the attacker still won't be able to use that account to post fraudulent auctions.

Of course this would likely cause a lot of user confusion.

B-ConAugust 18, 2007 2:56 PM

By the way, the badge is blue, not black. Black badges are for lifetime passes.

And are you going to use a proxy to mail it or are you going o give out your address, or at a minimum your postal code (from the canceled stamp)?

schneier's cryptological penisAugust 18, 2007 9:31 PM

That badge is close to $300. Is it the defcon novelty of the item or the smell of Bruce Schneier's sweat that has geeks salivating. Inquiring minds want to know.

its like a security Horcrux - harry potter joke

RoxanneAugust 19, 2007 5:02 AM

@rolf: His signature is illegible. You'd just think that someone tried to get their pen to write, using this as scratch paper.

Tom BrandtAugust 19, 2007 3:04 PM

"So, technically, I am not donating the proceeds of the auction; I am donating a completely different pile of money equal to the proceeds of the auction."

Money being, of course, not fungible.

Jim ShapiroAugust 19, 2007 5:36 PM

I must be confused. Isn't DefCon over? Of what value is a used speaker badge?

Andrew GumbrellAugust 20, 2007 4:10 AM

I don't know much about your IRS, but UK tax laws would not charge any tax to you on the sale but allow you to claim 'Gift Aid' on your donation. (This allows the recipient charity to claim the income tax you would have paid on that sum)

AnonymousAugust 20, 2007 3:03 PM

I have several inscribed copies of Bruce's books. His signature isn't scarce.

AnonymousAugust 20, 2007 3:04 PM

"Why do people collect old baseball cards?"

To cut out and play paper dolls with?

WimAugust 21, 2007 3:12 AM

B-Con, I suspect Bruce will shred the badge along with several other less-interesting DefCon badges, mix the pieces, divide them into three piles and send each one to the winner via a chain of anonymous drop-boxes. The winner will then use a complicated algorithm to discard the pieces of the "chaff" badges and re-assemble the real badge into its original form.

AnonymousAugust 22, 2007 2:49 AM

Bruce, please ask somebody from EPIC to do a spell-check of their site.

E.g., "Amendmen" is mis-spelled in one of the meta tags on the front page.