Straight Talk about Terrorism
Nice essay that lists ten “truths” about terrorism:
- We can’t keep the bad guys out.
- Besides, the threat is already inside.
- More surveillance won’t get rid of terrorism, either.
- Defeating the Islamic State won’t make terrorism go away.
- Terrorism still remains a relatively minor threat, statistically speaking.
- But don’t relax too much, because things will probably get worse before they get better.
- Meanwhile, poorly planned Western actions can make things still worse.
- Terrorism is a problem to be managed.
- To do this, however, we need to move beyond the political posturing that characterizes most public debates about counterterrorism and instead speak honestly about the costs and benefits of different approaches.
- We need to stop rewarding terrorism.
Nothing here will be news to regular readers of this blog.
Leave a comment