Friday Squid Blogging: Squid vs. Owlfish
This video is pretty fantastic:
The narrator does a great job at explaining what’s going on here, blow by gross blow, but here are the highlights:
- Black-eyed squid snares owlfish with its two tentacles, which are tipped with hooks and suckers, and reels it in.
- Black-eyed squid gnaws away at the owlfish’s spinal cord using its very sharp beak.
- Owlfish is wearing a suit of large, shaggy scales, which it proceeds to shed in an effort to loosen the black-eyed squid’s eight-armed grip.
- Owlfish’s scale trick doesn’t work, squid burrows deeper into its back muscles, rotating it around [like] a cob of corn
- Owlfish dies with a gaping, red, meaty hole in its back and the drinks are on black-eyed squid because he’s feeling pretty great right now.