Friday Squid Blogging: Cooking a Humboldt Squid

I thought that large squid were too chewy and not very tasty, but this person cooked a 30-pound Humboldt squid.

Posted on November 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM • 9 Comments

Comments

Alan (2)November 29, 2008 5:11 AM

Large octopuses present the same challenge, and are a speciality in Galicia, Spain. The key to their not being excessively chewy is a lot of cooking time: at the very least 2-3 hours.

What interested me what that this guy didn't cut the squid into smallish pieces; I tend to chop them up into max. 5cm bits.

Besides the tomatoes, some potatoes done slowly in the sauce with the beast itself can be delicious.

David HarmonNovember 29, 2008 7:53 PM

Well, the guy's site title indicates he specializes in, umm, "non-mainstream" recipes.

(Though not so nasty as the "grosstroll" who posted above me -- I hope you'll nuke that comment, and the "embryu[sic] soup", too).

Alan (2)November 30, 2008 4:00 AM

I agree with David.

On that track, what can be done for the security of blog comment sections? (What may "security" mean in this context?)

Oops, sorry. I forgot we were taking friday off security. Professional deformation. :-p

jNovember 30, 2008 11:12 AM

"Too chewy and not very tasty" -- a description of any squid, including various Chinese dishes and calamari, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, but to me squid (as food) has always seemed to be a product of Goodyear et al.

John WatersDecember 1, 2008 2:42 AM

CAVEAT EMPTOR! NOT KOSHER!!! ;)

Actually, tough cephalopods can be rendered soft and tasty. Check out Rick Bayless' amazing series of (mexican) cook books. He has an awesome recipe from Veracruz that involves boiling squid into a stock, the leftover squid parts are nice and soft. I don't have the book handy and its been years since I made the dish, otherwise i would provide the recipe here.

You might want to also check out this recipe:

Note that the squid should be "scored", which will make it easier to eat.