New Book: Schneier on Security

I have a new book coming out: Schneier on Security. It's a collection of my essays, all written from June 2002 to June 2008. They're all on my website, so regular readers won't have missed anything if they don't buy this book. But for those of you who want my essays in one easy-to-read place, or are planning to be shipwrecked on a desert island without Web access and would like to spend your time there pondering the sorts of questions I discuss in my essays, or want to give copies of my essays to friends and relatives as gifts, this book is for you. There are only 90 shopping days before Christmas.

The hardcover book retails for $30, but Amazon is already selling it for $20. If you want a signed copy, e-mail me. I'll send you a signed copy for $30, including U.S. shipping, and $40, including shipping overseas. Yes, Amazon is cheaper -- and you can always find me at a conference and ask me to sign the book.

Posted on September 15, 2008 at 7:18 AM • 18 Comments

Comments

PaperghostSeptember 15, 2008 7:56 AM

I often see you at conferences, but you're usually busy talking to similarly busy looking people. I did consider diving on your table once as a method of introduction, but thought better of it.

BillSeptember 15, 2008 8:52 AM

Does it answer the question

"What's with the squid connection?"

If it had a section on the Loch Ness Monster I'd understand (i.e. cryptozoology).

PS. Yeah you are waaaay to busy at conferences that and I'd feel such an idiot brandishing a pen with nothing intelligent to say whilst the great and the good look on....

D0RSeptember 15, 2008 9:51 AM

It's nice that you send signed copies, though. I'll buy one, although I dislike a bit the ChuckNorrisesque pose on the cover. :-)

Bruce SchneierSeptember 15, 2008 10:05 AM

"That's too bad that the book does not contain any new material, I really hoped to read something new from you. Your writings are always immensely interesting."

Thank you. There's always new material on this blog.

Mike BSeptember 15, 2008 10:24 AM

Have you considered selling signed book plates like the Freakonomics guys so that you can avoid the hassle of shipping the whole signed books yourself?

Rich WilsonSeptember 15, 2008 12:46 PM

Will the Kindle version be digitally signed for an extra $10?

Does it contain any of that hard math that only 3 people in the world can fathom? We don't want to hurt our brains while we're flaming the doghouse!

iguacufallsSeptember 15, 2008 12:48 PM

I thought the cover was very Peter Nortonesque. If only you were in a blue jump suit working on a 5.25" floppy drive, it would really make the picture.

KarellenSeptember 15, 2008 5:33 PM

"If you want a signed copy, e-mail me. I'll send you a signed copy for $30"

Hmmm....this sounds like those surveys where people get asked in the street for their password in return for a bar of chocolate. "Send me your credit card details including the CVV (cardholder not present) number in plain text over insecure email, and get a shiny!"

Admit it Bruce, this is just an attempt to show how vulnerable even people who read your blog (and therefore probably think they're good with security) are to social engineering scams! :-)

Clive RobinsonSeptember 17, 2008 2:55 AM

@ Bruce,

Did you ever do "Sales & Marketing 101"?

More seriously is their a UK relase date yet?

Yes I admit it I'm one of those oddities that like good book shops and therefor I'm happy to pay the premium to keep them in business.