Cell Phone Stalking

Does this seem real to anyone?

Somehow, the callers have gained control of the family cell phones, Price and Kuykendall say. Messages received by the sisters include snatches of conversation overheard on cell-phone mikes, replayed and transmitted via voice mail. Phone records show many of the messages coming from Courtney’s phone, even when she’s not using it ­ even when it’s turned off.

Price and Kuykendall say the stalkers knew when they visited Fircrest police and sent a voice-mail message that included a portion of their conversation with a detective.

The harassment seems to center on Courtney, but it extends to her parents, her aunt Darcy and Courtney’s friends, including Taylor McKay, who lives across the street in Fircrest. Her mother, Andrea McKay, has received messages similar to those left at the Kuykendall household and cell phone bills approaching $1,000 for one month. She described one recent call: She was slicing limes in the kitchen. The stalkers left a message, saying they preferred lemons.

“Taylor and Courtney seem to be the hub of the harassment, and different people have branched off from there," Andrea McKay said. “I don’t know how they’re doing it. They were able to get Taylor’s phone number through Courtney’s phone, and every contact was exposed."

McKay, a teacher in the Peninsula School District, said she and Taylor recently explained the threats to the principal at Gig Harbor High School, which Taylor attends. A Gig Harbor police officer sat in on the conversation, she said.

While the four people talked, Taylor’s and Andrea’s phones, which were switched off, sat on a table. While mother and daughter spoke, Taylor’s phone switched on and sent a text message to her mother’s phone, Andrea said.

Here's another report.

Posted on June 25, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Comments

Ed T.June 25, 2007 1:34 PM

There is code available to turn on / activate the mic (and maybe the camera) on several models of cell phone, including the Motorola RAZR series. It is one of the things we now caution people about if they are headed into a meeting where very sensitive information is being discussed - that they may have to actually remove the battery from the phone during the meeting (simply turning the phone off no longer may be sufficient.)

Hopefully the authorities and cell company can find out who is doing this.

~EdT.

CraigJune 25, 2007 1:45 PM

Wasn't someone spying on Italian politicians in a similar fashion awhile back (too lazy to Google :-)

StevenJune 25, 2007 2:14 PM

Sounds like a poltergeist.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist

Skeptics think that the phenomena are hoaxes perpetrated by the agent. Indeed, some poltergeist agents have been caught by investigators in the act of throwing objects. A few of them later confessed to faking.

R. Emory LundbergJune 25, 2007 2:33 PM

What the reporters are describing isn't possible.

What is likely happening is that someone is spoofing Caller-ID information and using software-generated speech to send harassing messages.

It is someone in the house, or someone close to the family that is doing it, and I am confident that this will be revealed soon.

AlanJune 25, 2007 2:41 PM

Isn't it possible that this is due to then phone having been cloned? Wouldn't a cloned SIM be able to spoof caller ID and mess up the phone companies records etc. Software errors could then result in playback of messages as calls etc.

Cochese TontoJune 25, 2007 2:46 PM

Anyone tried the site referenced in the news footage? http://www.flexispy.com/

I'd like to see it in action, but don't have $200 worth of curiosity to invest in researching. (...and I thought the InfoSec field would mean $$$. LOL)

Just LookingJune 25, 2007 2:51 PM

If the reports are correct about the phones being used as a bug while being off then the phone's software has been modified. An easy test is have a qualified security expert download software and compare it to the original.

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 2:57 PM

This sounds very similar to a case that occured in Ontario (Canada) many years ago, where the family was receiving harassing calls, the stalker knew which rooms family members were in when he called, the phone company was unable to trace the calls, etc.

Turned out the calls were all from inside the home --- the younger son who was into phone phreaking and was "stalking" the family...

Dom De VittoJune 25, 2007 2:58 PM

I would *imagine* that a suitably bluetooth-dumped trojan on the phone could record snippets from the mic, store and then forward them on - by MMS or bluetooth again?

Either that, or the phone has some seriously weird firmware.

Or she enabled auto-answer.... :-)

Only time will tell....

RichJune 25, 2007 3:02 PM

It will be interesting to find out what underlies this event.

However, in the meantime there are a number of corrective actions they could take. Start over with new phones and a different carrier. Ditch the fancy phones and get simple ones. Stop the text messaging subscription. If all else fails, stop the cell phone service.

Your World DeliveredJune 25, 2007 3:08 PM

Re: Just Looking, What makes you think the firmware needs to be modified? Since all phones run closed-source software, it is very difficult to say with certainty that there are not NSA-mandated backdoors in modern phones that allow remote activation of the microphone. Simple NSLs to the telco and SW engineers involved could keep this off the public radar.

There is nothing remotely "impossible" in this story. Overriding the "power off" function to make it just turn off the screen and any LEDs would not be rocket science.

Dom De VittoJune 25, 2007 3:09 PM

To directly answer a suggestion in some of the news articles. No, you cannot reprogram a phone with a (160-character limited) SMS message - not to do anything useful, anyway.....maybe you could get it to display "bye" and switch off, if you knew a suitable buffer overflow, knowledge of the CPU and OS/hardware API.
(ok, nothing's impossible, but that would be a lot of effort, even for me :-) )

Terrorist Surveillance ProgramJune 25, 2007 3:16 PM

R. Emory Lundberg, which part is not possible?

Brandioch ConnerJune 25, 2007 3:33 PM

I don't buy it. From TFA:

"According to James M. Atkinson, a Massachusetts-based expert in counterintelligence who has advised the U.S. Congress on security issues, it’s not that hard to take remote control of a wireless phone. “You do not have to have a strong technical background for someone to do this,��? he said Tuesday. “They probably have a technically gifted kid who probably is in their neighborhood."

Fine, Mr. Atkinson. Then why don't you demonstrate how it is done?

I know that it is possible for your service provider to upload new software to your phone. But this goes way beyond that.

Particularly the bit about watching them. That would seem to require line of sight or a video bug.

And making death threats? Why hasn't the FBI been called in?

PARTICULARLY since it seems that a shooting at a SCHOOL was threatened?

Just LookingJune 25, 2007 3:36 PM

Re: Your World Delivered, Good point it moves the intrusion up one level. I'm not that paranoid (yet) but if you are correct then it becomes someone who hacked or works at the tel co. However, I was thinking of the link provided by Cochese Tonto and of course this still assumes the news reports are correct.

R. Emory LundbergJune 25, 2007 3:43 PM

@Terrorist Surveillance Program

> "R. Emory Lundberg, which part is not possible?"

Where to start?

The "powering up a device and having it send a text message," part for starters. I don't know of any standard handsets that have anything resembling this functionality. And if it was malware, replacing the device would make the problem go away.

Even with modern smartphones this functionality being described is fantasy. The problem is that we're relying on the reports from journalists that are ill-prepared to understand the technology and are using the wrong language to describe what is happening.

The miscreant is using CallerID spoofing and relaying forged SMS. That they have first-hand knowledge of what was happening in the kitchen of the people in the article means it is probably a family member or neighbor.

bearJune 25, 2007 3:46 PM

Sounds like a movie of the week to me.

However, something rings a bell from a few years ago about a piece of software that could be installed on phones to make them work as open mikes to the person listening. It was something that the user had to physically install but I don't reall where I heard it from. One of the many rumours floating around the technology world I am sure :)

YWDJune 25, 2007 3:47 PM

JL, you seem to be believing in some sort of security through obscurity nonsense. Why do you assume it would have to be someone with legitimate access to the secret abusing it? Couldn't their computers have been compromised, leaking the necessary knowledge into the hands of numerous illegitimate parties? I think that is much more likely than the stalkers in this case having any direct connection to the telco, NSA, or phone manufacturer. Although, of course, that is possible too. It just seems pretty unlikely.

Also, of course, the backdoor could have been independently discovered and exploited solely through reverse engineering...

Ian MasonJune 25, 2007 3:47 PM

@Dom de Vitto

There's a surprising amount of reprogramming you can do to a mobile 'phone with SMS messages. I used to have access to some of the manufacturer's manuals supplied to service providers and I know that there are many facilities (including ones not accessible to end users) that can be remotely reprogrammed. Moreover, you're not limited to a single SMS message, just as this posting isn't limited to a single IP packet, you just have to have a protocol for linking them.

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 3:54 PM

@R. Emory Lundberg, see my "not rocket science" comment above.

DudeJune 25, 2007 3:57 PM

This sounds like bullshit to me:
- the caller knows in which room they are, so they're in the area
- callers use voice-software, so their real voices are probably known by the (family of) victims
- there are (death) threats, but no actions are carried out
- switching to other phones makes no difference
- two teenage are the center of it all
My guess is the two girls record each others' conversations, call each other, and need some extra attention

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 4:08 PM

JL, apologies, I was too quick reading your comment and didn't see that you said "hacked or".

As to "assuming the news reports are correct", though, regardless of the veracity of this particular report it is already well established that at least certain models of cell phones can be used to spy on their users:

(For those who don't click the link, it says that the FBI already has already successfully used evidence collected from remote activated cell phone mics as evidence in a trial.)

Still not that paranoid yet?

simongabrielJune 25, 2007 4:14 PM

I would think that the firmware/os on the phone would be possible to be modified. I would definitely think that if the so-called stalkers were within bluetooth range that would be more logical than simply trying to load data via sms. It's also logically possible that in loading this data on the phone (yes I'm running on assumptions based on assumptions, bare with) the phone is able to 'simulate' being powered down, thus able to turn itself on (either via timer or remotely via a message).

I think it's incredibly naive to think that cellphone os software isn't able to be manipulated. It's essentially a computer, and we know how open those often are.

nzrussJune 25, 2007 4:38 PM

@R. Emory Lundberg

"The "powering up a device and having it send a text message,""

I had a Nokia 5140 which had a built in alarm. If I set the alarm and turned the phone off, the alarm would still wake the phone up and sound the alarm with screen flashing.

Not impossible.

If the individual connects their phone to a compromised computer (i.e when downloading ring-tones etc) then swapping the handset (for another of the same model) will yield the same results.

In theory, the attacker could have access (via many means) to the individuals computer, and is installing some kind of trojan firmware. The 'smarter' the phone - the more options and likely easier this would be.

steveJune 25, 2007 5:02 PM

not to be stupid, but... why not:
(1) change phone numbers or
(2) stop using cell phones for a while

If one changes phone numbers and then slowly released the knowledge of that new phone number, should you be able to gain some knowledge as to who might be the bad guy? You would at least be able to rule-in or rule-out certain people.

Or just don't use cell phones for a while. That would force the bad guy to use a regular phone which is probably easier to trace.

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 5:08 PM

Has anyone botered to read back a few issues in Scientific American about the evolving cell phone malware that has surfaced in Russia, etc.

Based on the Scientific American articles, none of this is that farfetched...

R. Emory LundbergJune 25, 2007 5:25 PM

"I wish this article mentioned what models of phone they're talking about. Saying this is definitely not possible without even knowing that detail is particularly naive."

Which is why I looked at the photograph on the webpage/article in the Washington press. They're not smartphones.

And while I don't deny that handsets can turn on with a timer, I don't think that is what is happening here. I am not aware of an API in smartphones that allows you to control keyboard/LCD/LED like that, much less more limited handsets.

Until someone actually looks at and dissects mobile malware, I will continue to call shenanigans. So far the only thing I've seen is "sky-is-falling" alarmist chatter.

I don't know of any way to do what is being claimed by these articles, but I don't discount the possibility that what is being reported isn't accurate. So while I can't say with 100% certainty that this is BS, my antenna is up never-the-less.

Surely you can appreciate my lack of faith in a reporter being an expert in using a mobile phone, much less knowing how software talks to radios, RF, Bluetooth OBEX, etc. There are some technology writers for some large news organizations that still think of WiFi as witchcraft or sorcery.

So far we have the mobile operator saying what they're describing is impossible, which as far as I know, it is. Then you have non-technical people explaining the situation and the behavior to an equally non-technical group of reporters and local law enforcement.

Even when doing IT forensics and working with law enforcement it can be hard to properly convey some concepts. I'm not trying to say anything negative about the family or the reporters (or law enforcement), but don't ignore the fact that so far nobody has shed any real light on this or given any facts.

"This leads me to think that a small part of the phone remains on. This does not mean it is connected to the network, but does mean that it is likely a firmware change would allow the phone to wake up after being turned off, then carry out its required functions."

Yeah, and if I have access to the handset, and a laptop, and the appropriate cables and software, I can flash a handset. But I can't do it OTA with an MMS or SMS message, and I can't very well OBEX a firmware image to a handset either.

Either way, "The calls are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!1!!1!!"

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 5:26 PM

I'm suspecting the "stalker" is coming in on something like SKYPE or some other variant of VOIP...

Stephen CrimJune 25, 2007 5:49 PM

The fact that it has persisted through different phones seems to be the clearest indicator to me. That someone could have such fine grained control over a single device or platform is improbable, but I wouldn't say impossible. That they would be able to do so across several phones (especially the array displayed in the video, if those are in fact old devices) is much much less so. My feeling is that this is more likely plain old surveillance in the home. I'd be interested to know whether they've received recordings of the far side of conversations, or if they can restrict occurences of surveillance to physically disparate locations.

Take a trip and pack lightly, buy new phones with new SIMs and new numbers, perhaps on a different carrier. Change your PINs and passwords and usernames, don't connect them to the computer, don't pay your cell phone bill online.

It'd be nice to apply some old fashioned fault isolation to these systems rather than the alarmist accusations that the "complex cell phones" have been hacked. 1s and 0s don't materialize from the ether (yet) and information has to have some physical path from the girls to the perpetrator. For instance, did the phone transmit data via the carrier's network around the time the lime incident occurred? If it did not, either the phone was not part of the mechanism or it occurred via short range bluetooth connections, which is just as useful for identifying the criminal.

R. Emory LundbergJune 25, 2007 5:57 PM

You know if they have any sort of wireless home video setup, baby monitor-esque nanny-cam thing going on that would be the only thing needed.

Lofi is still good sometimes. Just don't forget that the simplest explanation is usually the proper one. I don't think "someone hacked my phone!" is the simplest explanation at all.

I think Stephen Crim has the right idea. (Though of course I would think that, since I think the whole thing is far-fetched anyway ;))

JoeJune 25, 2007 6:03 PM

I've gotten a fair number of phone calls that have originated from inside a purse or pocket. There were all from people that had "open" phones, and would get bumped in such a way as to "speed dial". I can imagine someone could have a lot of fun with that if they were so inclinded.

MatthewJune 25, 2007 6:26 PM

I can send SMS that say they are from me when they actually aren't. Using www.pennytel.com .

If you give me 5 minutes alone with your phone and an internet connection, I can send SMS that 'come from' that phone from that point on.

YWDJune 25, 2007 6:31 PM

@Lundberg "I looked at the photograph on the webpage/article in the Washington press. They're not smartphones." ... "Yeah, and if I have access to the handset, and a laptop, and the appropriate cables and software, I can flash a handset. But I can't do it OTA"

What? I certainly can't discern the model of any of the phones in the picture. And anyway, most phones being sold now are "smarter" than the "smart phones" of a few years ago in terms of potential hw capabilities. What the software allows the user do with it may not be advanced, but the hardware certainly is. And what makes you think OTA sw updates aren't possible?

Are the Motorola Razr or Samsung 900 generally considered "smartphones"? I don't know, but I wouldn't think they are.

According to http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/...

"""The FBI converted the Nextel cellphones of two alleged New York mobsters into "roving bugs," microphones that relayed conversations when the phones seemed to be inactive, according to recent court documents. Authorities won't reveal how they did this. But a countersurveillance expert said Nextel, Motorola Razr and Samsung 900 series cellphones can be reprogrammed over the air, using methods meant for delivering upgrades and maintenance. It's called "flashing the firmware," said James Atkinson, a consultant for the Granite Island Group in Massachusetts."""

Given that this capability *is* in the phones, what makes you so sure OTA reprogramming isn't being widely exploited by other parties (other than the FBI) everyday? I would assume that it is.

RCJune 25, 2007 8:31 PM

This kind of attack is only going to get worse with iPhones and other convergent devices trying to do everything in one device. The more functions, the more entrypoints for hacking. Get control of that one device, and you could practically control someone's life.

AnonymousJune 25, 2007 8:36 PM

Why doesn't the service provider put a pen-recorder or whatever it is they use to identify incoming calls. It seems like an easy way to find out who the stalker is, or what phone they're calling from.

It's one thing to fool Caller-ID. It's another entirely to fool a provider's billing system.

Another JakeJune 26, 2007 12:41 AM

Hmm...something unexplained and "creepy" is happening, centered around two teenaged girls. Where, oh where, have we heard this kind of story before? Salem? Poltergeists? The only difference is that the story is updated for modern technology.

I guarantee you those girls are involved somehow. If not them, a younger brother. Remember, kids rarely have the same sense of repercussions and perspective that adults do, and a kid with an agenda (whatever the cause behind it may be) can be quite capable of doing things most adults would blanch at. Especially in an era where each successive generation understands emerging technology at a level far beyond what most of their parents can grasp.

Unfortunately, when the truth comes out it would be surprising to see even a minor mention of it anywhere in the MSM. Fanning the flames of irrational fear sells content; debunking attention-grabbing falsehoods just isn't a priority.

AnonymousJune 26, 2007 5:13 AM

Who needs mobile phones? Humanity has survived for the last 100K years (6000 if you're a christian) without them. The fact that EVERY mobile phone is a bug and constantly monitors your whereabouts is reason enough for me to never own one.

Keep your old simple mobile phones which provide no other function than phoning and maybe SMS! In a few years you will be able to sell them for shitloads of money.

YWDJune 26, 2007 5:22 AM

Anonymous -- unfortunately it is already exceedingly difficult to activate an old phone without E911 functionality, and in the future it will probably be illegal if not impossible.

Back to "who needs em", I guess.

AnonymousJune 26, 2007 6:15 AM

> Anonymous -- unfortunately it is already
> exceedingly difficult to activate an old
> phone without E911 functionality,

And what might that be? Doesn't exist in my corner of the world.

> and in the future it will probably be
> illegal if not impossible.

Then only outlaws will have surveillance-proof phones!!!one!11

Richard VeryardJune 26, 2007 6:38 AM

It's always tempting to argue that because a given device cannot deliver ALL the attacks described in this story, therefore it cannot be responsible for ANY of the attacks.

It is always tempting to look at security in terms of one device at a time.

Intelligent attackers orchestrate attacks using multiple diverse channels. Including social engineering.

bobJune 26, 2007 6:55 AM

"Keep your old simple mobile phones which provide no other function than phoning and maybe SMS!"

Nope - doesnt work - the phone company drops you.

Are all the monitored/recorded conversations taking place in the house itself? Maybe the hypothetical {hack|stalk}ers have malware on a desk or laptop PC that is always left on and listens to conversations in the house regardless of the cellphone condition.

jsJune 26, 2007 7:40 AM

Obviously some of the people featured in the article are annoyed, frightened, and frustrated. However, the "cellphone's been hacked and is sending messages even while off" argument is completely ludicrous. It's trivial to forge the source of an SMS or MMS message; likewise, when a call originates from VoIP, what is shown as the call originator's identity is determined by the VoIP system, not the telephone carrier. For all I know from reading the article, these could be pranks pulled by some bored teenagers using a VoIP carrier and some audio files. Judging by the fact that the perpetrator(s) had very precise knowledge of the whereabouts of the victims, I'd first suspect people inside the families or somebody very close.

(This definitely does sound like something *I* might think of if I were a bored teenager... fortunately for others, when I was a teenager, there were no cellphones or VoIP around to play pranks with...)

I didn't catch whether the people had reported these incidents to law enforcement. Were I to receive death threats, I would definitely report them with the police.

Steve CJune 26, 2007 10:18 AM

Perhaps a "friend" gave her a gift phone for her birthday:

When I have to explain what I do I usually give this product example of what I try to prevent. Malware comes in many forms, and some are even "designed in" a product on purpose. Yea, Somebody elses purpose. She had better check her phone for RF when it is "turned off".

Your World DeliveredJune 26, 2007 11:09 AM

@bob "it should be a legal requirement that all cellphones sold in the US have a physical off switch; ie breaks the power path."

Given the feds' acknowledged use of phone-as-bug-while-phone-appears-off, it seems more likely that the exact opposite law will be (or has already been secretly) enacted.

teamsterJune 26, 2007 12:01 PM

@anonymous
[referenceing] http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/...
"it says that the FBI already has already successfully used evidence collected from remote activated cell phone mics as evidence in a trial"

Not necessarily. The article says "It is also possible that the FBI installed a bug directly on the phones" So not necessarily a remotely acitivated cell phone per se

@bob
"On a side note it should be a legal requirement that all cellphones sold in the US have a physical off switch; ie breaks the power path. Cordless phones too."

Whether there is a law or not I am going to install one myself. Just open the mike (air gap style switch) circuit whenever the phone is closed.

@simongabriel
"bare with [me]"
But I don't even know you :)

EdwardJune 26, 2007 1:16 PM

I've been in the computer industry for 22 years and have dealt with computer security off and on for 18 of those years.

This IS possible to do. A drug kingpin was recently captured using the same technology. There are programs that can be downloaded to a cell phone without the person being aware of it.

The cell phone has to be turned on at the time the program is downloaded, but once it's activated, the program allows for cameras and cell phone microphones to be activated and remain active even if the phone is turned off. The software can extend to the address book and other functionalities of the phone as well.

Petréa MitchellJune 26, 2007 1:21 PM

I suspect a "poltergeist", too. If your local library carries _Skeptical Inquirer_, go look up its articles on the "Columbus poltergeist"-- a great in-depth examination of a typical case. (Or you can find an article index and order back issues at www.csicop.org.)

The short version of the story (like a lot of other similar investigations, but this one is particularly well-documented), for those who don't want to go to the trouble of looking it up, is: Mysterious and distressing stuff keeps happening around a teenager-- strange voices, stuff flying about, that sort of thing. The more attention the happenings receive, the worse they get. Under gentle questioning and a little surreptitious photography (IIRC, the photo that helped most in this case was accidental), it becomes clear that the person at the center of the case is faking it. The reader is left wondering if the parents were really *that* gullible, or if they sensed an opportunity they might be able to cash in on.

WoodyJune 26, 2007 1:30 PM

As someone that has spent time doing mobile phone development (firmware, not downloadable apps), and familiar with both the RAZR and the 900 series from Samsung, I'm very curious how you can do OTA firmware downloads, unless they are patch-deltas only.

We had to do it the hard way (JTAG + USB).

Petréa MitchellJune 26, 2007 2:09 PM

A little more information on the Columbus poltergeist case-- James Randi has a short description here:

And his full report on it was reportedly reprinted in a book called _Science Confronts the Paranormal_, ed. Kendrick Frasier.

SteightonJune 27, 2007 4:24 PM

I heard about this on NPR on Tuesday as well. In that discussion the interviewer had on an 'expert'. According to this 'expert', this is all entirely possible due to the newer Java based programming APIs on modern phones. The claims he made were that programs could be written which would activate the mic on a cell phone, or to activate the camera to capture an image. He wasn't clear how the captured sound or image was forwarded to the attacker, but I would assume some sort of further API which allowed internet connectivity provided the means to forward the data.

He speculated that the malware on the phones in question were installed as partof a Trojan on a MySpace page.

Given the level of internet aware technology in phones, and expanded capabilities and APIs, this doesn't really seem that far fetched to me. On the other hand, all of the phone companies are currently denying that this is possible. I'd really be interested in a reputable test of this attack vector to see if it's as possible as the NPR 'expert' thought it would be.

One of the main reasons I treat the 'expert' so skeptically is that he made a final statement that the girl involved the story went to a high school where they taught programming in Java. "I mean she goes to a school where they teach kids the code necessary to write this type of Trojan."

Clearly the type of statement that comes of FUD and ignorance...

AveryJune 28, 2007 7:52 AM

The problem with most of the theories being advanced require someone who can backwards engineer cell phone systems to find super secret NSA mandated back doors, design these systems to forward information home, but not be traceable once the authorities get involved and does it across multiple platforms in a matter of days. And with these abilities he harasses teenage girls.

I clearly missed the issue where Lex Luthor teamed up with Beavis and Butt Head.

dick hertzJuly 1, 2007 8:31 AM

You know, with all the bugs which people have found in cell phones I am sure over-riding the poweroff and turning it on remotely would not be hard to do. there are so many hidden things for service, etc on cell phones now days this could easily be some kids down the street who stumbled on the right webpage

dick hertzJuly 1, 2007 8:31 AM

BANEOFNEMESISJuly 1, 2007 10:54 PM

OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE, THIS IS A CASE OF SOMEONE USING FLEXISPY - AS SOMEONE POSTED UP NEAR THE TOP. IF YOU CHECK THE LINK, IT IS INARGUABLE THAT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS.

guessingJuly 2, 2007 1:27 AM

I agree with BANEOFNEMESIS, I read about Flexispy on the company website for Flexispy. Seems like the Flexispy is very capable of doing what is happening to these families. It is probably someone that knows the families well, that spends alot of time on the computer, doing it. I doubt it would take a computer geek to use this software. I hope they find out soon who is doing it, so the families can rest. It has to be the FLEXISPY or software similar.

bookwormJuly 2, 2007 3:21 PM

I read on the news where two of the families, including the one who got the call about cutting the limes, said that their homes had been broken in to. So I ask, why haven't they considered the possibility that when their homes were broken into REAL surveilance equipment, such as a nanny cam or some other spy cam was installed that could relay video imaging from inside the home back to a remote location was installed? Why has this not been considered? I don't know about you all, but my cell phone is not always in the same room with me, so it would be damn hard to get an image of me cutting some limes. from the living room where it was sitting in my purse. This would smack to me of a remote camera outside the phone. Something smells about this. And I agree, change your network. Removee the battery. Use your landline and trace the calls back to the police dept. Get your own spycams set up outside the house, (and have security come in and make sure there's nothing set up indoors) and record the people slapping the sides of your house at night. If you are not involved, stop being a victim and take control. If I were being harassed by my cell phone like this, I wouldn't have one. So why do they? I don't get it.

IamINtheFamily...July 6, 2007 9:32 PM

I am in the family this is happening to and it IS happening whether or not YOU choose to believe it. Surveillance cameras- great idea...costly, but great. The perpetrators have only RECENTLY started coming by the home and first priority was an alarm system and new locks/bolts all around. And Bookworm- wow, ya just don't get it. We ARE taking control- you just haven't heard the whole story now, have you. We're having someone probe for bugs or other devices, we ALL take our batteries out of our cell phones now all the time (a really simple answer, huh? try taking your battery out EVERY time you want to TALK about this and how to catch them etc!)- do YOU have a cell phone? We HAVE done traces from our landline AND our cell company only to have that come back to one of our phone numbers (cloned or whatever they do), and hey- easy for you to say about getting rid of the cell phones-- If your computer got a virus would you throw it in the trash? that is NOT the answer bookworm, now get back to the books, you OBVIOUSLY have more studying to do.

AnonymousJuly 9, 2007 1:37 PM

You know, if they're coming by the house, it would be trivial to have an unmarked car watching and making stops.

Seems likely that the person doing this is a family member.

Michelle SharpeJuly 10, 2007 7:06 AM

This is very serious I literally have had a nervous breakdown over this b/c my ex husband did to this to myself and my new husband. He knew when I was at home. He knew all my intentions and where I was going and would show up. He even would call me at home and yell at me for disciplining our 4 year old. That's when I started to isolate myself and was afraid to leave my house and shower. I feel very violated is there anyone can help me prosecute him or them find a way he did this . Someone please help me.

Michelle

Stuart GibbonJuly 16, 2007 7:32 PM

This is eerily similar to a short story titled "Connected" by Alasdair Stuart published in Hub Magazine in England about exactly the same sort of thing. The news story is dated 20-June-2007, whereas the original short-story was published in hard-copy in December 2006, and re-published online on 27-June-2007 as a one-off special. The similarities are - well - similar!

It makes me wonder if this is a case of life imitating art, art imitating life, or just a freaky co-incidence. Of course, I don't
believe in co-incidences, and since the short-story was first published six months prior to the news article, it raises questions. Of course if similar things have happened elsewhere, then it is probably life-imitating art.

So if something freaky happens to you, make a story out of it, publish it, win a prize or two, and use the money to hunt down the bastards!

alwaysaliceJuly 19, 2007 10:16 AM

Has anyone thought to look at the computers that could have access to the phone? Video conferencing is not a new tech and can be done with the camera on the phone. I think there is probley a program somewhere on one or all the pcs with wireless access to the phones that received an email with a program from the original email message and just keeps infecting the phone probley through audio files or something. There are lots of programs that allow you to access you pc at work from home and vise versa, plus add the video conference program and you got it.

JoJuly 19, 2007 11:00 AM

This story was on fox this morning and of course sprint and the FBI denied knowing of any technology that can do this. How stupid do they think we are?
I heard a program on TV about encryption a few years back that was so tight no one could break it. The government didn't like this and required that they had to put a back door in for them.

SarahJuly 19, 2007 2:18 PM

Ok, to the "I AM IN THE FAMILY THIS IS HAPPENING TO", IF you really are in the family I would have to call you a moron at this point. Your family members lives are being threatened and you can't throw your cell phones away? To answer your question if we would throw away our computers... YA! If my children's lives depended on it that computer would be out my front window in a split second. Do you value your cell phones or better yet, your spent money more than your own children. I really hope you aren't in the family, or for that matter, in anyones family, of that is the value you would put on the live's of children. And whether or not the poster was legitimate, I still say that the whole family needs to swear off cell phones and can't even begin to understand why they haven't done so yet.

alwaysaliceJuly 19, 2007 5:48 PM

I don't think thowing away the cell phones would be the answer, but changing to one without bluetooth, wi-fi, camera, and text messaging wouldn't be a bad idea. I really hope someone has checked out the computors near by and in the house, and if they format one to try and get rid of this they need to format ALL with in distance of contact at any given time of the phone. The reason the phone sent messages and emails was to embed the program or programs they are using into as many friends and family's pc's as possible so if one was formated or gotten rid of it could reinfect from a different source. This is nothing new and is probley coming from out side the country due to the lack of international laws concerning this type of thing.

dustyJuly 21, 2007 12:40 PM

My nephew chris has been bugging my phone and listening in to my conversations
he also tried to change the number on the bills heres how i found out first he was the only one to call for about 5 secound on a date i have listed on my cell phone then that same night it came on by it self at three oclock in the morning then to day i looked at my bill and the same date and the numbers don't match up. he got in and was trying to cover up his tracks.
he also started up my phone again about 11:30 to day sat.21 2007

Seattle-VirginiaJuly 30, 2007 7:13 PM

I was doing a Google search on something "impossible" happening to a cell phone, and I came across this thread. Let me describe something that's "impossible" which has been happening to my cell phone. But first let me say that I'm not an idiot. I've been in the software industry for 20 years and have worked at Microsoft. I could imagine how most things could happen with technology, but this one has me stumped.

I am based in Virginia; my fiancee is based in Seattle. We talk on the cell phone daily, and leave a lot of voice mail for each other. We both have 2 year old LG phones on the Verizon network. In the last month, here's what's happened 5 or 6 times.

I call my fiancee's cell phone and leave her a voice mail message, say, at 2 pm. Later, she picks up the voice mail message sent at 2 pm, but the contents of the message are not the message I left. Instead, she hears my voice talking to someone else in what was a live call, not voicemail. How is this possible?

Example: three days ago, I used my cell phone to call a co-worker, telling him in a live call that I was late for the 11 am meeting but was just "a few blocks away, and should be there in a minute if the stupid traffic light would change". Today, three days later, I called my fiancee and left her a message saying I'd be free to talk at 5 pm. When she didn't call by 5:30, I called her, and asked if she'd gotten my voicemail. She said that she got a voicemail from my phone number earlier in the day, but that it had been a weird message in which she heard me talking to another man and saying that I was "a few blocks away, and should be there in a minute if the stupid traffic light would change".

I've tried to imagine how a live digital call could get stored on any device in the chain of transmission between my cell phone in Virginia and hers in Seattle, but I can't imagine how that could happen. Aside from privacy law, which would prohibit a live call being captured and stored on a server and later transmitted to a voicemail account, I can't understand what would then substitute a captured snippet of live conversation 3 days ago for a purposedfully recorded voice mail message I thought I was leaving for her today.

I called Verizon and explained this, and the technician, who certainly thought I was nuts or stupid or a prankster, had me reprogram my phone. Kind of like taking aspirin for a mysterious disease... yeah, that'll clear it up!

Anyone have any idea how this could happen, or anyone ever heard of this happening?

BoyintheMachineAugust 10, 2007 12:26 PM

The cell-phone stalking seems to have crossed over into 'gangstalking' activity, involving stalking/harassment activity in the daily lives of the victims, as well as property damage. The key to understanding this activity is that it is carried out by multiple people, hence 'gang' as in 'gangstalking'.

Leo CelsusAugust 30, 2007 4:51 PM

Two thoughts. For as long as there have been microprocessors, there have been kids who find nothing more engrossing, than figuring out how to make them do things they weren't supposed to do. We were called hackers back then, and you can bet your bottom and top dollars, and all of the dollars sandwiched in between, that there are hackers now. Serious...hardcore, NASA-grade delinquents who are really just bored and looking for a way to flex their brains and amuse themselves. If anyone thinks for a second, that they aren't going to find ANY vulnerabilities in these systems..you're not the geek you claim to be. As soon as OTA downloading became available, as soon as internet connectivity became available...hell as soon as flashing became available, there was a way in. And the same kids that are banging out the latest downgraders for the next Playstation Portable OS, probably drooled for 30 minutes after the iPhone was released. This will only get more common.

My second thought, might come from a place of ignorance, as to how difficult it is to create a cell of your own. Not a high powered cell either, simply one with enough power to be considered by the cell phone as the "more desirable" "tower" to communicate with if used from a small distance. I'm thinking that if roaming means that all cells can communicate with all phones in a very rudimentary manner..someone spoofing a cell could get all sorts of information from the phone. If the target changed phones, same thing. Come within distance..wait for activity..identify the phone and the carrier by its handshaking and authentication signature.

Once the correct information is known, a hardcore hacker could maybe have the basic authentication procedures for the major carriers programmed into a "Master Cell Emulator" program. Next thing you know..your cellphone thinks he is the phone company.

Far-fetched? Again...if you think that's far-fetched you REALLY don't know the geek scene as well as you think you do.

My buddy had a cable TV station with 25 subscribers built by the time he was 17.

These kids are seriously serious about the things they love to do. I don't doubt these claims for a second.

Leo

AnitaSeptember 7, 2007 11:37 AM

I'm just out looking for someone, a technician, to identify and sign a note that I have this problem in MY cell phone.

My story isn't quite as scary as the famiy in the news.

My workmates know way too much about my personal life. A conversation I had with my sister prevented me from getting a raise.....

If anyone knows a good technician to find this bug, please respond. thanks!

Have gun, Will TravelOctober 1, 2007 11:09 AM

I need an answer to my cell phone.Was I hacked? I called my Son, of whom it is no secret that he may be responsiable.
I called his cell phone & my cell phone would not hang up, it finally froze up with the dialing mode froze. My cell phone became very hot & i quickly took out the battery & I guess it re-set itself. First time this has happened to me, ever.
Note: I'm an armed security guard but when it comes to cell phones,?????

nobodyOctober 13, 2007 4:19 PM

America defeated Hitler, sent a man to the moon then defeated communism so some rat with a computer could hack a cell phone and snitch about his neighbors bathroom habits?

This stuff is happening to more people than we know and it will continue to grow worse.

Welcome to 1984...

wierdthingshappenOctober 16, 2007 12:07 AM

I'm not a tech-savy person. I've spent my adult life raising a family, not an IQ! But I do know this...wierd things CAN happen, and are happening to our family and cell phone contacts through our cell phones. We have 5 lines with US Cellular. To those who say change phone companies...not easy to do when you have a contract...ours would cost us $750 to break. To those who say change phones/numbers...we have...several times. Our "poltergeist" just moves in to the new phone and number. Technology geeks...try this one on for size...we gave our daughter a cell phone for HS graduation in May (this became our 5th line). The first 3 or 4 times I tried to call her on her new phone, I got a guy (unknown). He confirmed that the number I was calling was "his" number, but it was also the number that had been given my daughter. I quit trying that day, and that was the last time we had that particular problem. But then, within a month or two, her phone started randomly calling a few select numbers on her speed dial list. When the party would answer, there would be nothing - no one on the line. These calls came from her phone, which was turned on, but folded closed, which would have eliminated accidental bumping. Eventually we went to US Cellular and told them what was happening, to which they said, of course, that it was impossible. They did, however, issue a loaner phone while they sent our phone in to be serviced. The loaner phone continued making the calls. Some of these calls would be one right after the other. There would often be a succession of 4-6 calls in a row, then it would stop for awhile, then start again in several hours, or several days. The next step was to activate a new phone with another new number. Same thing. That phone went in and we got another loaner with a new number (none of the info/phone numbers was transferred) while the other phone was de-activated and re-activated on our line. The phone has been reconfigured and a fourth time a new number was assigned. Our "poltergeist" just won't give up. Today, a new twist in our story: her phone called our home phone (land line) this am and when I answered, there was no one there, as usual. This continued for a couple more calls. I stepped outside for awhile and when I got back in, I had a message from her number... heavy breathing. But this message was new in itself....never before had the call picked up on our answering machine. There was also the familiar background noise that sounds like children laughing or screaming. Others have heard this same sound when the phone has called them. A little later the phone rang again and I answered it and the same heavy breathing. I immediately called my daughter and asked her if she had tried to call me (no) and where was the phone...it was in her purse, where it had been all am. As we were talking (not very long into conversation), the line to her went dead and I could again hear the heavy breathing. This happened on the next 2 or 3 times I tried to call her...I could get about 2 or 3 sentences out, and it would drop the call and go to the breathing. At one point, I kept listening to the breathing instead of hanging up, and it got louder (real loud), then quieter again. I finally called her and said very quickly before the call could drop, I'm coming to get your phone [to take it to US Cellular office]....then hung up before the breathing could get me. Right after that, my land line rang again. I didn't answer it. No pickup on answering machine. Within a minute, my cell phone started ringing. I thought my daughter maybe is really trying to get ahold of me and answered it. It was our "poltergeist" breathing again. Thoroughly spooked, I ran out the door and into my car, where my cell phone rang again and breathed at me. I turned it off. Got her phone and mine delivered to the US Cellular branch store. They kept ours for "observation" and issued us 3 loaners (one for her, me and my husband) with new numbers. No info was transferred. We were given instructions to let them know if any of our friends called us to let us know that our phone had been calling them again. Our daughter used one of the loaner phones to call the several people who have been plagued with the calls, and within an hour, this new number began calling the people she had placed calls with. Then, we got a call from our son...this new number called him. He had never gotten calls from the other number! And while we spoke, the phone kept calling him over and over.....while it laid in my hand! The culprit phone never registers the calls it makes, although they do show up on our phone bills. My phone and my husband's (old) phone (numbers) have called these select people a few times, but it has usually been the new line issued to our daughter. To those of you who are quick to be skeptical and point fingers at the family, in particular, the children: I can't speak for the family or their daughter in the news story, but in our case, the phone has called from my daughter's coat pocket, her purse, the kitchen table, and her dresser one day when she forgot to take it with her. One day, as it was calling me over and over, I was watching her from a distance as she talked to her friends...her phone was in her pocket. Oh, and another thing...when I tried to call her back on her phone to see if it would ring in (it usually doesn't ring in to her when it is doing this calling...in other words, it sounds like it's ringing on the caller's end, but the phone doesn't physically ring - goes to her voice mail)....the phone didn't ring, rather it made an instant live connection and I could hear my daughter's conversation with her friends. This has happened at least one other time that we know of, as a friend called her and alerted her to this.
US Cellular told us that they've never heard of this type of thing before. I didn't have to read long before I saw that there are many instances of wierd things happening with cell phones. We're really dependent on our cell phones, but this is getting ridiculous...and now kinda spooky. We used to think this was a glitch in the system, but we are now convinced this is a person behind our "poltergeist phone". Does anyone have any advice other than cancelling or changing our service?

MilaJanuary 23, 2008 11:27 PM

This is not impossible. I was having a conversation in private with one person in my room. Someone sent me a text message on my cell phone soon after with a threat using some obvious clues that the person was listening to our conversation.

LeoFebruary 26, 2008 7:18 PM

Wow, looking for something else and I found this fascinating but dated thread.

"There's something going on here, but I just don't believe it's entirely cell phone hacking. Something else is going on."

It's not cell phone hacking. It's VOIP hacking combined with a basic knowledge of mobile phone protocols. Wireless networks are more and more VOIP. Even if your phone isn't 3G and doesn't support VOIP, the base stations do.

Turning phone microphones (and other things) on remotely is built into phones, not because the NSA or the FBI asked for it but because the designers thought it was cool. It's not advertised because the network providers think it would scare customers but might somehow be good for them anyway.

Turning the microphone on might be part of the E911 services. On landlines with E911 service you can't disconnect the phone. Only the operator can do that. Some hacker may just be using a similar wireless E911 capability to turn the microphone on. It's not like E911 services haven't been illegitimately obtained before, on landlines even.

First step, switch service providers. The problem is at the service provider's network. Until they admit it and fix their security problems there's nothing that can be done except switch service providers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of VoIP. Security? We don't need no stinkin' security!

EvanApril 3, 2008 8:23 PM

I had a crazy businesswoman stalk me for a year using my cell phone. She had one of her employees put a virus on my phone, and was able to do the following: (some related to the phone snooping)

1. Monitor my location. I don't know how, and maybe it was only her social network, but I am extremely suspicious at this point.

2. Turn on my mic. I am an academic and a lecturer at a college.

3. Either listen to, and/or record my calls.

4. use anonymous myspace messages to contact me using information that indicated she was getting it from my phone.

I guess that's it. Nobody believed me, but I ended up recording my lectures, and was getting 50 second clips of the RF interference on my recording. (I used a digital H4 recorder that I used to track music when I was still playing).

For anyone who wants to see if their speakerphone mic is getting hacked, that thing costs 300 bucks or so. This absolutely ruined my life, or was part of ruining my life. There are creative ways to terrorize and torture people, and the outcomes are always bad.

GERRYApril 16, 2008 7:31 PM

I AM ACTUALLY GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR SITUATION. MY CELL PHONE HAS BEEN HACKED INTO AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING HARRASING TEXT MESSAGES. IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH. THIS PERSON KNOWS EVERYTHING I DO WITH MY CELL PHONE FROM SENDING AND RECIEVING TEXT MESSAGES TO WHO I CALL OR GET CALLS FROM. THIS PERSON KNOWS WHERE I LIVE WHAT TIME I LEAVE AND GET HOME. HE/SHE ALSO KNOWS WHERE MY GIRLFRIEND WORKS. THIS IS STARTING TO GET RIDICULOUS. HE IS DOING THE SAME THING TO MY GIRLFRIEND'S PHONE. THE TEXT MESSAGES DON'T SHOW A PHONE NUMBER BUT SOME TYPE OF ID CODE. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA TO REVERSE THE PROCESS?

JohnMay 22, 2008 3:37 PM

I run my own business and have had this problem, it has cost me thousands and thousands of pounds. It has also had a very negative affect on my private life as everything I spoke about was picked up on by the hackers.
I would like to know if there is any way of identifying the attackers?

ValerieMay 26, 2008 8:51 PM

It was done to me as a prank. They call a number then enter your number and a bunch of other digits and it goes straight to your voicemail. They can hear the messages and change your greeting. They know how to do it but not how to block that from happening to your phone. It only does not work on some phones. Does anyone know how to stop it. And changing your password does not work.

CharliJune 7, 2008 9:58 PM

I read through these, it's.... really crazy and awesom of all of the possibilities with the technology that has been created for the benefit of mankind. Alot of what I read sounds familiar. I feel for any one who has gone through any of this but, it's good to know I am not alone or crazy.

I have had lots and lots of issues with wireless phones and computers. I have actually had my phone to turn on and record conversations, video, files stolen, alarms was tripped in them before and GPS activated. I even got a chance to converse with one of the eaves droppers to. I don't know who he was, but he was put on the spot. : ) One phone actually stays engaged in activity sometimes ALL DAY, unless the battery is removed and the SIMS upon two occasions.

Then, one of my children actually recieves calls from a person who uses the name of a deceased friend of his claiming to be her and saying she didn't die and such. It was something that should not have been known by anyone in the area where we live at because we had moved.

The scariest thing of all is not knowing who is actually on the other end. A psycho or just a plane sicko.

Furthermore, the worst thing is that the athoraties are too limited on what they can or can't do help in situations like this. The old true saying, "Fight fire with fire" is what is needed.

The software programs that enable people to do these types of things should be given to the officials to use and then, possibly they can put a stop to a lot of the "hacking-phreaking-phishing and MESSING WITH PEOPLE'S LIVES!" The way that "hackers" and "stalkers" do.

lawyerJune 30, 2008 12:52 PM

This is very interesting. I am actually doing some research for a lawyer who has a case coming up regarding some text messages. It is nothing fancy, just accusations of text messages back and fourth between a boyfriend/girlfriend, but some of the messages have questionable dates, while others say "resend" or "reply". I have a basic knowledge of texting and know that the date can only easily be altered if the phone date/time is incorrect. I don't think the avaerage person could alter it otherwise after the fact. I'm looking for someone in the cell phone or electronic field to talk to. I know that many so called "geeks " are better than some "experts" but I need a person that has some tangible experience in this area (job in this area, degree etc.) They also need to be in the Boston/New England area and willing to potentially testify (for compensation).

I need more than just forum chat. Any leads would be great.

thought I was going crazyJuly 9, 2008 4:12 PM

The cell phone stalking began for me over a year ago. I had a restraining order on a man that nearly killed me. he was sent to jail for only 14 days, nothing else. I could not explain tex messages I was getting from whom showed up as a family member or I would get a call at odd momments(in the car/alone) with threats but the numbers were from flower companies that had know idea who I was. I called the police MANY times, they chalked it up as "crazy woman"..my life was and is not the same. People ask me why I have the battery out of the cell when not in use. I did my homework, after research on the net, I learned how I'm stalked. No one yet had heard of this. Police do not know how to even write it up as a real threat since there is no evidence. I am a business woman that lives not as a free person to have a social life...my children can't even send me simple messages. BTW- the stalker is an electrical engeneer for an aviation giant.

AnonymousJuly 29, 2008 1:25 PM

i had a friend who want to know who was doing the samething to her
we fought back to the hacker and we hav not seen or heard from him in 6 months

LMonkeyNovember 7, 2008 5:04 PM

Does a static (on but not transceiving) cell phone "handshake" with the network at regular intervals ?

LMonkeyNovember 11, 2008 5:09 PM

The answer is yes, after thinking about this. Third party GPS/traffic aggregators buy the anonymous cellphone location data to deduce traffic flow. I wanted to know the information since it seems that cellphone RF is going to be proven to damage soft tissue. i.e. you don't want a device riding in your jeans pocket that is going to be pinging the network at regular intervals that is if you don't want to mutate your germ cells. Oh and by the way this has nothing to do with using Bluetooth to hack unsuspecting slobs at airports and Starbucks.

CricketNinjaDecember 21, 2008 1:33 PM

My phone was hacked into yesterday while I was out of town. My phone was on roam and I was sending text messages to my friends and boyfriend and suddenly began recieving messages that did not make since that soon transformed into rude messages. I could not control any of my messages that were being sent and this caused an almost break up with my boyfriend and loss of friendships. I removed my battery and sims card from my phone and did not put them back until I was back home where my service provider had control over my phone.

kkkkkkMarch 20, 2009 6:25 AM

I face a similar problem. The stalker is able to interfere with all my electronic communication.
Yesterday night I had a phone interview for work.
Cellular stalking:

At the first minutes the other person on the line was eager to hire me...then the phone freezed-could not had turn it off...then somehow I thought take the power off...then in few minutes the person who was eager to hire me, switched his mode to a negative one.

The cyberstalker interferes with my life and need desperately to end it. Please help.

Anyone out there for help!

BC37March 24, 2009 10:27 PM

This hacking thing with cell phones is real... My issue started about 4-5 months ago. I got hired at a company in which I know one person personally. I had no contact with this person before hand and did not know this person worked for this company until I was getting hired into the department in which we both work. This person and I exchange cell numbers within a week or two of me being in the department...we talked several times or so to each other several times or so...(I noticed that this person would frequently switch up between two different cell numbers from which they would contact me from....) AND THEN SOMETHING CHANGED. This person stop calling me and stopped answering my calls. This person along with all the other co-workers in my department have isolated me from conversation, they don't talk to personally, and rarely communicate with me whereas business concerned. Also, This person started boost and making comments that I believe were preludes to what is currently going on with my cell phone and the other additional cell lines we have, and personal account infomation that has been compromised/breeched. For example, this comment "I have favor with people here (meaning work)." One day a comment came out of nowhere and it puzzled me... " someone stole my debit card info from work one time...I knew who it was and every time I saw the person I wanted to get them, but there was nothing I could do about it because didn't have any solid proof". Well it wasn't long after that I started noticing that this person and the other co-workers around me in my depart would all participate in conversations on a daily bases in which places I had used my debit card and conversations I had on my cell phone outside the office (mainly in the privacy of my own home) were being and still are being repeated in an indirect manner. They have been able to repeat conversation that have taken place in the privacy of my parents home where only we were present along with our cell phones. It is obvious they want me to know that they have the "inside track to my personal life and my family and friends lives as well. This not the even half of the whole story. They go through my trash can at work. I actually caught them doing this by placing several fake notes in my trash can...they discussed the the details of the notes outloud the next day...

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Why this person and the others that are participating in this maddness is doing this, I have no clue!! These are "adults" with children and families. To me this is a form of harrassment!! I tried changing all of our numbers...THAT DID NOT WORK. I personally keep my battery out of my phone, which has been a hugh inconveinence to me and my family they worry about me b/c they can't contact me...I have a medical condition in which I am receiving treatment and care and I can't and won't discuss on the phone b/c it's nobody's business but mine and my family. Outside of the medical condition, my personal business s/b just that MY PERSONAL BUSINESS!!! I read about different gadgets, how this could be happening, so on and so forth, HOW CAN I MAKE IT STOP OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW CAN THE PERSON(S) DOING THIS BE TRACKED AND HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS FORM OF HARRASSMENT AND PLAYING WITH AND MAYBE EVEN ATTEMPTING TO DESTROY OR HARM MY LIFE AS WELL AS THE LIVES OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS???? FOR ALL OF US, OUR PRIVACY AND THE RIGHT TO IT - HAS BEEN BREECHED.

Stalked for 3 yearsMay 1, 2009 12:28 AM

Its nice to find a place where a few have encountered the same problems as myself. I have been stalked for over three years, from my computer and cellphone. I am single and can't find a spouse because someone calls and tells them negative things. My computer was hacked into. Whomever it is sent photos of my life and emails were generated to my work and VIA around the world.

My cell conversations have been heard by everyone on my contact list. When I'm on the phone my contacts phone will ring and they can hear the conversations.

These perpertrators are psycopaths, and they are dangerous. I'm still being stalked occasionaly in grocery stores restaurants..ect. Its GangStalking. No one is interested in me, they are just interested in Screwing with a womans Head!

My advice to anyone that is letting it get to them. STAY OFF the computer if you are being stalked. Take your battery out of your cell phone, and only use it when needed.

I have changed cell phones and numbers 6 times. There is no way out, unless you get a new cell phone and number and don't give it to your best friend!!! Any person that has ever been on your contact list, you will be tracked that way.

I have faced this problem on my own, and I have almost ended it on my own. I got Tough and started Stalking them. When the tables are turned, they start to back off....Ha Ha!!

People need to be aware Your Cell phone is the perfect tracking device.

joan oxtonAugust 17, 2009 2:30 PM

my daughter got a call on her mobil by a man,when she was looking out from her window!he said i know every make of the things in your house and i can blow them up and start to make your life hell, look up!! im looking at you. when she looked up there was no one there, two days later her microwave went bang! then few days later the freezer went the same way..she had a load of static elictric in her kitchen, and she felt like she was getting sparks on her arms, which blistered! she said she can see vapers coming from the wall plugs, and the files on her mobile keep going from her phone, the photos of her two kiddys also went, she said shes being hacked!! its still going on, i had to stay with her at the weekend, she wont come an stay with me, said there not going to win! and thay also said thay can blow her up to!! she thinks its the woman next door? said when she went into her home she had around 10 phones on charge, she asked why all thr phones! she likes to go on the internet! i dont know what to do, or think, can anyone do this with a mobile phone!!

kumarDecember 12, 2009 8:45 AM

Lady Joan, I think your daughter has either a wiring problem in her house or someone is zapping her with lots of RF may be microwave.i can help you if you do some tests i say....

LeonidesDecember 14, 2009 8:21 AM

A domestic network of Gestapo-like activity which is linked to COPS is burgeoning in America (it is also in Canada and the UK). Google (and youtube) the word "gangstalking" -- 1984 is here under our noses.

Comments on this entry have been closed.