Friday Squid Blogging: Deep-Sea Squid Use Light in Attack

From the BBC:

Big deep-sea squid emit blinding flashes of light as they attack their prey, research shows.

Another link.

EDITED TO ADD (2/16): More links.

Posted on February 16, 2007 at 3:11 PM • 10 Comments

Comments

Plural of MongooseFebruary 16, 2007 3:46 PM

They have a merit badge for folks like you Bruce - over at the University of British Columbia, from the Order Of The Science Scouts Of Exemplary Repute And Above Average Physique.

The OOTSSOERAAAP "inordinately fond of invertebrate" badge, in which the recipient professes an arguably unhealthy affinity for things of this category.

I can think of no more deserving recipient.

Plural of MongooseFebruary 16, 2007 3:47 PM

I can think of no more deserving recipient.

Filias CupioFebruary 18, 2007 9:18 PM

Off-topic (security but not squid related):

This is probably old news to many of you, but I just noticed: British Telecom is intending to replace its POTS network with something IP based, called 21CN ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21CN )

BT make some soothe-the-paranoid-non-techie noises here:
As a semi-paranoid semi-techie, I'd like to know more.

Bruce SchneierFebruary 18, 2007 10:50 PM

"Are there any thoughts on the security implications of this? Will it be more or less secure than the old analog system? Will Evil Cracker be able to own my neighbour's computer, and from that own the BT router we share and then listen to my phone calls? Will Evil Cracker be able to DOS the telephone system?"

I am going to be learning about this system. I don't know what I will be able to talk about publicly, but I will know more than I do now -- which is more-or-less nothing.

AlexFebruary 19, 2007 10:02 AM

The plan is to essentially rip out 5,000 buildings and all the old circuit switch kit. Converging everything onto an IP MPLS backbone network between 10-15 router sites nationwide, optical Ethernet to the MSANs (Multi-Service Access Nodes), then either DSL or 802.16 in the access network.