Profile of Schneier

There was a profile of me in the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Sunday.

I'm pretty pleased with the article, but this is -- by far -- my favorite line, about Applied Cryptography:

"The first seven or eight chapters you can read without knowing any math at all," Walker said. "The second half of the book you can't export overseas -- it's classified as munitions."

It's not true, of course, but it's a great line.

There's also this in the Providence Journal.

Posted on November 24, 2006 at 12:18 PM • 8 Comments

Comments

CarlNovember 24, 2006 9:34 PM

>>"I think he could go on Oprah and talk about security," he mused. "Yeah, he could. He'd be OK. He's got the ponytail."

_Best_ _Idea_ _Ever_... well, unless you made up those juicy bits in Applied Cryptography..?..

chbartsNovember 25, 2006 2:12 AM

Carl: well, unless you made up those juicy bits in Applied Cryptography.

As it turns out, Alice is completely fictional, Bob is a composite of two guys and a squid, and Carol had nothing whatsoever to do with the Great New England Blackout but does do that thing with her mouth.

All of the hex was simulated as well.

Arturo QuirantesNovember 27, 2006 2:26 AM

Just tale a look at the Bruce Schneier Facts:

Here's just an example, Chuck Norris style:

"Bruce Schneier's private key is so strong that he doesn't even hide it -- if you saw it, you'd die before you could use it."

RichNovember 27, 2006 10:34 AM

A good profile, but you should get the Banana Waffle next time you're at Highland Grill.

I like my copied of Applied Crypto, since it's allowed me to easily explain to several non-technical people.

JeffNovember 27, 2006 11:41 AM

This line says it best in the Providence Journal, “The point of terrorism is to cause terror,��? he said. “If we refuse to be terrorized, we deny them their victory.��? As things are now, he said, “We’re doing their work for them.��?

Here Here! What will it take to get Mr. Schneier in charge of Homeland Security? I would sleep better at night.

Void RunnerNovember 27, 2006 3:32 PM

@Jeff

"Here Here! What will it take to get Mr. Schneier in charge of Homeland Security?"

A miracle, alas :(