Cryptography Comic

Alice, Bob, and Eve. (I get a mention, too.)

Posted on November 10, 2006 at 11:09 AM • 15 Comments

Comments

K. Signal EingangNovember 10, 2006 12:44 PM

I think XKCD is angling to become the official comic strip of Schneierblog.

I guess we'll know for sure when he starts throwing gratuitous cephalopod references into the strip.

jayhNovember 10, 2006 2:19 PM

When my wife's aunt and uncle (Alice and Bob) had a daughter it seemed obvious to to me they should name her Carol. They failed to see my logic, however.

BWNovember 10, 2006 2:45 PM

ThomasNovember 12, 2006 1:54 AM

@BW
"""How can we be sure that this message comes from the real Eve? Maybe it comes from Alice..."""

How very astute, and here's proof:

" ... to the lipstick heart smeared on the disk ... "

Obviously this is not Eve the eavesdropper, it's Ivan the Interceptor working with Paul the Pretexter!

JohnNovember 12, 2006 2:56 PM

Good heavens! Now that's gotta be the most significant recognition of an arcane discipline I've ever seen.

Congratulations (I think).

PaeniteoNovember 13, 2006 12:45 AM

Would Eve come to late honors? Would we meet Fred?
Or won't it be necessary to have such a protocol as any 4-party protocol can be extended to 5 participants? I think so, but I don't remember that this topic would have been adressed anywhere.

Bruce SchneierNovember 13, 2006 1:14 AM

"I wonder what would be done if a cryptographic protocol requires 5 participants. Would Eve come to late honors? Would we meet Fred?"

In Applied Cryptography, I continued the sequence: Alice, Bob, Carol, Dave, Ellen.

Eve is reserved for the eavesdropper.