Wiretappers' Conference

I can't believe I forgot to blog this great article about the communications intercept trade show in DC earlier this month:

"You really need to educate yourself," he insisted. "Do you think this stuff doesn't happen in the West? Let me tell you something. I sell this equipment all over the world, especially in the Middle East. I deal with buyers from Qatar, and I get more concern about proper legal procedure from them than I get in the USA."

Read the whole thing.

Posted on June 29, 2006 at 1:43 PM • 6 Comments

Comments

raoufJune 29, 2006 2:54 PM

Another interesting quote from that article:

"Our legal system is more transparent," he said, "so we can do what we need to do without controversy. Transparency makes law enforcement easier, not more difficult."

RoyJune 29, 2006 3:10 PM

"But these tools -- especially in the IP realm -- are not so much sophisticated as complicated and very expensive. They're a bad alternative to old-fashioned detective work" especially if the money spent on these toys is not available for proper training...

"The windup is that garden-variety crooks will remain those most susceptible to remote, electronic surveillance, while sophisticated, tech-savvy bad guys will continue operating below the radar." Exactly.

peg leg klingonJune 29, 2006 4:29 PM

I read about this on Slashdot. A few people here and there were expressing their opinion that the whole thing may have just been an article for publicity for the event/company involved.

My opinion? I don't know, but Schneier's blog is awesome. :)

ArkanoiDJune 30, 2006 7:02 AM

Was there Stratign? Or are their products not only snake oil, but vapurware too? Remember i wrote you about them but got no answer..

Lou the trollJune 30, 2006 10:04 AM

Interesting read. On a somewhat unrelated note, does anybody other than me find it strange that a rag like Wired can't get the printable version of their articles to render HTML correctly? "soirée" instead of "soirée" or however it's correctly spelled in French for example.